Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Twelfth Station of the Cross- Jesus dies on the Cross


Symbol- Crucifix

Jesus hung for three agonizing hours on the cross against a darkened sky. His greatest agonies were not the agonies of His body, but those of His Heart for the great love He has for each and every soul. He gave Himself for us. He gave His all. He hung with His arms outstretched in total surrender. Jesus' head was punctured from the crown of thorns and his hands and feet were nailed to the cross. They pierced His Heart with a lance and blood and water flowed from this wound. He gave Himself to us. He gives Himself to us this day in the Eucharist.

When Jesus died, the sky got dark and the ground started to shake. This made some people very scared. They saw that Jesus was innocent and that they had made a big mistake.

Let’s look at Jesus

After the long walk falling many times and having the soldiers beat him, Jesus was nailed to the cross. He suffered for three hours. He looks down from the cross to his sorrowful mother and his beloved disciple John. He tells his mother, Behold your son (John) and to John he said “Behold your mother.” Jesus made Mary, his Blessed Mother, our Mother too. Jesus bows his head and dies. This part of his life is over. There is nothing left for Jesus to give or to do. Jesus has given his life for all of us.

Let’s look at our hearts

Have you ever felt like you did not try hard enough at something and then something bad happened? You feel so alone and deserted.

Picture Jesus at your side, know that you are not alone. Ask him to always let you know that you are never alone and that He is always there beside you.

V.We adore Thee, O Christ, and we praise Thee.


R. Because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world.

As Pilate had ordered, a soldier placed, above Jesus' head, a notice reading 'Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews" (John 19:20). The cross was hoisted into place. Mary and John, stayed at the foot of the cross and prayed.


Jesus looked down and said to his mother "Dear woman, here is your son"(John 19:26) and to John "Here is your mother" (John 19:27). Even at this terrible time, he was taking care of his mother.

The sky was dark. Jesus said "I am thirsty". (John 19:28) A soldier offered him wine mixed with vinegar.

The two thieves that were crucified beside Him, talked to Him. Looking at one of them he said, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43).

Jesus said, "EIi, Ebi, lama sabachthani? - My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46)


Then he said "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit (Luke 23:46)
A few moments later He said, "It is finished" and dies.


At that instant, the earth shook, rocks split, the curtain in the temple ripped from top to bottom. The centurion guarding Jesus saw the earth quake and said "Surely he was the Son of God" (Matthew 27:54).

Jesus died at 3 p.m. on the Cross at Calvary.

Dear Jesus,
death is hard for us to understand. Remind us always that faith will carry us through our losses. Jesus, help me to admit when I make mistakes. Help me to say I’m sorry. Thank you for always forgiving me. I love you, and I want to do the right thing.

Mary, help me to see Jesus in all things.

Almighty Father, Help me to understand Jesus' death. Help me to understand the love Jesus has for me. This I ask through Christ Our Lord.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment