Monday, May 29, 2006

The Holy Spirit- Jesus's Baptism


John the Baptist lived in the wilderness preaching and baptizing people. He told the people to “Turn away from sin and to be baptized. God will forgive your sins. The One who will come after me is much greater than I, I am no worthy to bend and undo the strap of His sandals. I baptize you with water but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Jesus went to John to be baptized. When Jesus came up from the water the Heavens opened up and the Spirit came down on Him like a dove. A voice from Heaven said “You are my Son the Beloved, My favor rests on You.” The Spirit led Jesus into the desert.

The Holy Spirit is often represented as a dove, reminding us that He comes into our souls with His grace. He comes for the first time in the Sacrament of Baptism and then again in a very special way in the Sacrament of Confirmation.

No comments:

Post a Comment